Help Willy's Friends is a 501(c)(3) non-profit animal welfare charitable organization founded in 2006 by Mark and Sharon Paturzo, of Durham, CT. Their inspiration is Willy, an Australian Shepherd-English Springer Spaniel they adopted from a shelter in 2003. What they found in their search for a new four-legged family member is that there are so many more wonderful, loving, entertaining dogs and cats who only want a family or a person to call their own. What they also learned is that millions of dogs and cats are euthanized nationally each year for lack of funds to care for them, lack of space to house them, and lack of families who want them. Thus, Help Willy's Friends was born, to:
- Provide shelters, pounds, rescue groups and related organizations with food, supplies, and monetary donations for veterinary care for homeless dogs and cats.
- Sponsor awareness events to bring attention to the thousands of abused, abandoned, neglected and unwanted animals biding their time in pounds, shelters and rescue groups, waiting for that second chance for love and security.
- Encourage volunteerism and participation by the community for the benefit of these animals who desperately need our time, our love, our care, and most importantly, our homes!
- Promote adoption of our 4-footed family members for anywhere from $5 to a few hundred dollars, rather than spend thousands of dollars at pet stores for designer breeds or pure breeds massively produced at puppy mills (in fact, did you know you can often find that pure breed or designer breed at your local pound?)
- Time is often of the essence for these animals. Please help us to help Willy's Friends!